The Community Wellness Task Force was established to encourage healthy lifestyles by our community members in Zion, Winthrop Harbor and Beach Park.
The objectives of this task force support:
• Raising awareness of wellness issues related to nutrition, exercise, social habits, and general health.
• Provide insights and activities that allow individual community members to learn about, reflect on, and commit to healthier habits as the first step toward a longer, healthier life.
Successes of this task force include:
Implementation of a series of “Health is Wealth” wellness fairs within the community. These fairs:
- Provided individual’s with the opportunity to learn about a wide variety of wellness issues within an energizing two hour period of time incorporating fun group exercise within the program.
- Help educate families about nutrition, sleep, the dangers of substance use/abuse, stress, etc.
- Are an active first step to allowing many community members to initiate healthier habits for themselves and their families!
The Wellness Task Force’s future is bright:
While we have had great success implementing these fairs at schools as a family-based activity, we plan to expand these wellness fairs to other agencies and groups who are looking to provide their members with a fun opportunity to get some exercise while learning about a wide range of wellness issues. Our “Health is Wealth” fairs can be adapted to meet the specific needs of organizations based on participants’ age, interests, etc. As well as adjusted to help support the mission of the hosting organization.
|Community Wellness*||2nd Tuesdays||Zion Park District
2400 Dowie Memorial Drive
Zion, IL 60099
In addition, the ZB Run Squad, which is a part of the Community Wellness Task Force, meets the 1st Tuesday of each month at 4:00pm at
the Zion Park District Leisure Center (2400 Dowie Memorial Drive, Zion IL 60099).
Top Box Foods at the Shiloh Center
Top Box Food Express is now in Zion! Top Box is working in partnership with the Coalition for Healthy Communities, to bring nutritious, affordable food to all of our residents. Top Box (www.topboxfoods.com) is a community-based non-profit that sells delicious, and healthy boxes of food for up to 40% off prices you’d find at the grocery store. Top Box is a community supported, once a month shopping experience that is open to everyone.
Our next Top Box Express event will be held on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at the Shiloh Center (2600 Emmaus, Zion, IL) from 12:30pm – 2:00pm.
Below are upcoming Top Box Express Events
Top Box Express is open to all, and accepts cash, credit/debit cards and LINK for payment. Three types of food boxes are available – Garden box – which includes fresh fruit and vegetables for $10, meat boxes range from $11 – $24, and are frozen for your convenience. These are high quality products that are bought in bulk – which allows Top Box to pass those savings along.
“The Coalition for Healthy Communities is delighted to partner with Top Box Foods to bring high-quality, affordable fruits, vegetables and meats to our Zion-Benton community. This is a wonderful opportunity for all of our residents to get access to good nutrition at a great savings.”
– Marilyn Krieger, Executive Director of the Zion Park District, and Community Wellness Task Force Chair.
Top Box was begun in 2012 by Chris Kennedy (who is the son of Robert F. Kennedy) and his wife, Sheila who believe that everyone should have the opportunity to have nutritious food in their diet, regardless of their financial circumstances. When community residents choose to shop at Top Box, it helps to support the opportunity for everyone to access quality, affordable foods while also saving money and eating well too; a win-win for all!
Visit Top Box Foods online at www.topboxfoods.com
Top Box Express Box Contents for January